some notes on the house
in 1926, the architect Paul Engelmann and Ludwig Wittgenstein started working on a palais for Ludwigs sister for a site in the 4th district of vienna. After several conflicts between the planners the house was finally finished in 1928.
the house was redesigned numerous times. however, these attempts seemed to point towards a refinement of the internal logic rather than reacting to the external conditions. during the planning process the planners had to find a new location for the building which was finally found in the third district of vienna. surprisingly this didnt have much effect on the design.
The Building was designed in an axial composition of cubical volumes - influenced by Loos's concept of the atrium-building.